Ten Ways to Protect Oneself From Shaytan
Translated by Abû Rumaysah
1) Taking refuge with Allah from Shaytan,
2) The recitation of these two Surahs.
3) Reciting Ayatu’l-Kursi, whoever recites it at night time will have a guardian placed over him and Shaytan will be unable to approach him until morning.
4) Reciting Surah al-Baqarah. Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said,
5) Reciting the last two verses of Surah al-Baqarah. Nu`man ibn Bashir reported that the Prophet (SAW) said,
6) Reciting the first three verses of Surah al-Mu’min, also called Surah al-Ghafir. A hadith mentions that whoever recites them along with Ayatu’l-Kursi when he awakes will be protected till night, and whoever recites them when he sleeps will be protected till morning.
7) Bukhari and Muslim record that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said,
8) Remembering Allah. This was mentioned by the Messenger of Allah (SAW) as one of the five pieces of advice that Yahya enjoined the Children of Israel to,
9) Performing ablution and prayer.
10) Refraining from excessive speech, food and mixing with people.
Footnotes:Bukhari #2311-3275-5010 from Abu Hurayrah 2 Muslim #780 3 Ahmad #18414, Tirmidhi #2882 Tirmidhi said it was hasan gharib and it was ruled sahih by ibn Hibban #782 and Hakim #2065-3031 with Dhahabi agreeing. Albani ruled it sahih and Arna`ut said the isnad was hasan. 4 Tirmidhi #2879 Tirmidhi said it was gharib and ibn Hajr, al-Lisan, vol. 1, pg. 44 quoted Daruqutni saying it was batil. Albani ruled it da`if. 5 Bukhari #3293, Muslim #2691 from Abu Hurayrah 6 Ahmad #17170-17800, Tirmidhi #2863-2864 Tirmidhi said it was hasan sahih gharib. It was ruled •ahih by ibn Hibban #6233, ibn Khuzaymah #483-930-1895 and Hakim #404-405-1534 with Dhahabi agreeing. It was ruled sahih by Albani, Sahih al-Jami` #1724 and Arna`ut