The saying of Allah, the Exalted,
|“Say: He is the All-Powerful and All-Able” [al-An’am (6): 65]|
19. Ibrahim bin al-Mundhir narrated to me; Ma’n bin ‘Isa narrated to us; ‘Abdur-Rahman bin Abu al-Mawali narrated to me; I heard Muhammad bin al-Munkadir speaking to ‘Abdullah bin al-Hasan saying; Jabir bin ‘Abdullah as-Salami informed me that
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ used to teach his Companions to perform istikharah in all matters just as he would teach them the chapters of the Qur’an. He said,
| ‘when any one of you intends to do something then let him perform two rak’ahs [of prayer] other than the obligatory prayer. Then say: O Allah! I seek the facilitation of good from You by Your knowledge and appeal to You by Your Power to grant me the ability to do what I desire. I ask You of Your bounty for indeed You are Able to do all and I am not, You Know all and I do not, You are the Knower of the Unseen. O Allah! If You know that this matter – then he should mention the specific matter – is good for me in this life and the Hereafter [or he said: for my religion, my daily life and my coming life] then fulfil it for me, make it easy for me and bless me in it. O Allah! If You know that this matter is evil for me in my religion, my daily life and my coming life [or he said: in this life and the Hereafter] then turn me away from it, choose good for me wherever it may be and then make me pleased with it.’|
The Turner of the Hearts and the saying of Allah, the Exalted,
|“We will turn their hearts and their eyes” [al-An’am (6): 110]|
20. Sa’id bin Sulayman narrated to us; from ibn al-Mubarak; from Musa bin ‘Uqbah; from Salim; from ‘Abdullah who said,
The most frequent oath to come from the Prophet ﷺ used to be,
| “no by the One Who turns the hearts!”|
To Allah belongs one hundred Names less one.
Ibn ‘Abbas said:
|[From amongst them are] Dhu-l-Jalal [which means] al-‘Adhim (Possessor of Greatness), al-Barr (The Bestower of Goodness), al-Latif (the Most Subtle)|
21. Abu al-Yaman narrated to us; Shu’ayb informed us; Abu az-Zinad narrated to us; from al-A’raj; from Abu Hurayrah that
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said,
| “to Allah belongs ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whosoever memorises, reflects and acts upon them shall enter Paradise.”|
The meaning of ahsaynahu is: hafidhnahu [we preserved/memorised it]
Asking by the Names of Allah, the Exalted and seeking refuge through them.
22. ‘Abdul-‘Aziz bin ‘Abdullah narrated to us; Malik narrated to me; from Sa’id bin Abu Sa’id al-Maqburi; from Abu Hurayrah from the Prophet ﷺ who said,
| When one of you retreats to his bed then let him dust it off three times with the edge of his garment and say, “with Your Name, my Lord, I place my side [to sleep] and with Your Name I will raise it. If You withhold my soul then forgive it and if You send it back [to its body] then preserve with that which You preserve Your righteous servants.”|
It was followed up by Yahya and Bishr bin al-Mufaddal; from ‘Ubaidullah; from Sa’id; from Abu Hurayrah; from the Prophet ﷺ.
Zuhayr, Abu Damrah and Isma’il bin Zakariyyah added [in their isnad] ‘Ubaidullaah; from Sa’id; from his father; from Abu Hurayrah; from the Prophet ﷺ.
It was also reported by ibn ‘Ajlan; from Sa’id; from Abu Hurayrah; from the Prophet ﷺ.
He was followed up by Muhammad bin ‘Abdur-Rahman, ad-Darawardi and Usamah bin Hafs.
23. Muslim narrated to us; Shu’bah narrated to us; from ‘Abdul-Malik; from Rib’i; from Hudhayfah that
| When the Messenger of Allah ﷺ retreated to his bed he used to say: ‘O Allah! With Your name I live and die.’ When he awoke in the morning he used to say: ‘all praise is due to Allah Who brought us to life after He caused us to die, and to Him is the Resurrection.’|
24. Sa’d bin Hafs narrated to us; Shayban narrated to us; from Mansur; from Rib’i bin Hirash; from Kharasha bin al-Hurr; from Abu Dharr who said,
| When the Prophet ﷺ lay down on his bed at night he said: ‘With Your Name we die and live.’ When he awoke he said: ‘All praise is due to Allah Who brought us to life after He caused us to die and to Him is the Resurrection.’|
25. Qutaybah bin Sa’id narrated to us; Jarir narrated to us; from Mansur; from Salim; from Kurayb; from ibn ‘Abbas (RAA) who said,
| The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: ‘if, when one of you wishes to go to his wife [for sexual intercourse], he says, ‘O Allah! Protect us from the Shaytan and keep the Shaytan away from what You will provide us.’ Then if it is decreed that they should have a child out of that act then the Shaytan will never be able to harm him.’|
26. ‘Abdullah bin Maslamah narrated to us; Fudayl narrated to us; from Mansur; from Ibrahim; from Hammam; from ‘Adi bin Hatim who said,
| I asked the Prophet ﷺ, ‘When I dispatch my trained [hunting] dogs, [what should I do]?’ He replied, “when you dispatch your trained dogs and you mention the name of Allah, then eat what game they bring back. If you throw a hunting tool at the game thereby wounding it then eat [of it].”|
27. Yusuf bin Musa narrated to us; Abu Khalid al-Ahmar narrated to us; I heard Hisham bin ‘Urwah narrating from his father; from ‘A’ishah who said,
| The people said to the Prophet ﷺ, ‘O Messenger of Allah! There are a people who have just recently disavowed shirk [and come to Islam], they bring us meat but we do not know if they have mentioned the Name of Allah upon it or not.’ He said, “mention the Name of Allah upon it and then eat.”|
It was followed up by Muhammad bin ‘Abdur-Rahman, ‘Abdul-‘Aziz bin Muhammad and Usamah bin Hafs.
28. Hafs bin ‘Umar narrated to us; Hisham narrated to us; from Qatadah; from Anas who said,
| The Messenger of Allah ﷺ sacrificed two rams, mentioning [the Name of Allah] and saying the takbir.|
29. Hafs bin ‘Umar narrated to us; Shu’bah narrated to us; from al-Aswad bin Qais; from Jundub
| That he witnessed the Prophet ﷺ praying on the Day of an-Nahr and then delivering the sermon. [During the sermon] he said, “whosoever has slaughtered before he prayed then let him slaughter another [animal] in its place and whosoever has not slaughtered then let him slaughter with the Name of Allah.”|
30. Abu Nu’aym narrated to us; Warqa’ narrated to us; from ‘Abdullah bin Dinar; from ibn ‘Umar (RA) who said,
| The Prophet ﷺ said, “do not take oaths by your fathers, whosoever must take an oath then let him take an oath by Allah.”|
What is mentioned concerning the Essence (dhat), Qualities and Names of Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent.
Khubaib said: That is for the sake of the Essence of Allah
Therefore he mentioned the Essence in conjunction to the Exalted’s Name.
31. Abu al-Yaman narrated to us; Shu’ayb informed us; from az-Zuhri; ‘Amr bin Abu Sufyan bin Asid bin Jariyah ath-Thaqafi, an ally of Bani Zahra and from the companions of Abu Hurayrah; that Abu Hurayrah said,
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ dispatched ten people [to spy on the enemy] one of whom was Khubaib Al-Ansari. ‘Ubaydullaah bin ‘Ayad informed me that the daughter of al-Harith told him that when they gathered [to kill Khubaib after capturing him] he asked for a razor to clean his pubic hairs. When they had taken him outside the sanctuary of Mecca in order to kill him, he said,
| ‘I do not care that I am killed due to being a Muslim,|
Regardless of which side of my body strikes the fatal blow, for it is in the Way of Allah;
And that is for the sake of the Essence of Allah; and if He will,
He will bestow His Blessings upon the torn pieces of my corpse.’
Then ibn al-Harith killed him and the Prophet informed his companions of the death of those [ten men] on the very day they were killed.
1. Or it could read that al-Barr means al-Lateef.
(NOTE: If you want to build a strong and powerful relationship with Allah, check out Islamia TV, where you can watch Islamic speakers from across the globe deliver inspiring and motivational courses. Learn more at www.islamia.tv.)