1. The saying of the Exalted :
|But if they strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly and follow the path of him who repents to Me, then to Me will be your return and I shall tell you what you used to do.|
2. The saying of Allah Glory be to Him, the Exalted on the tongue of the righteous
Ibraheem, may peace and blessings be upon him:
|And (also) mention in the Book (Quran) (the story of) Ibraheem. Verily ! He was a man of truth, a Prophet. When he said to his father, O may father ! Why do you worship that which hears not, nor sees, nor can avail you in anything ? O my father! Verily ! There has come to me of knowledge that which came not unto you. So follow me. I will guide you to a straight path O my father ! Worship not Shaitan. Verily ! Shaitan is a rebel against the Beneficient (Allah) O My father ! Verily ! I fear unless a torment from the Beneficient (Allah) overtake you. So that you become a friend of shaitan.|
3. The saying of the Exalted:
|O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah even though it be against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin.|
This Ayah and the Ayat which preceeded show that the parents are a scale with the children, and firstly he should not pray for the health and guidance for mankind that are near, and then for his relatives, but should stand for justice on his parents and their right guidance to the command of Allah, honouring them.
4. On the authority of Asmaa daughter of Abee Bakr may Allah be pleased with them who said: serving my mother, and she was a mushrik, and and enemy of the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam), I questioned the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam) asking, serving my mother, and attending to her, can I greet my mother ? he said: Yes greet your mother.
5. In another narration Asmaa said: I craved to care for my mother, and she craves for the Mushrikeen, so I said O Messenger of Allah I crave to care for my mother, but she wants to be a mushrik, can I greet her ? he said Yes greet your mother.
6. On the authority of Abee Huraira may Allah be pleased with him who said:
| I used to give Dawa of Islaam to my mother, and she is a mushrik, I gave her Dawa everyday until I heard her disliking the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam), then the Messengerof Allah came, and I began to cry, so I said O Messenger of Allah I used to give dawa to my mother of Islaam, until today when I heard her disliking you, so pray to Allah for the guidance of the mother of Abee Huraira, so the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said O Allah guide the mother of Abee Huraira. I left happily with the prayer of the Prophet (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam), I came to the door but it was closed, I heard the footsteps of my mother, then she said to me stay in your place O Abee Huraira, and I heard jolts of water, she said I wshed and clothed in, and rushed to the alcohol, then opened the door, then she said , O Abee Huraira I testify that Indeed there is none worthy of worship except Allah, and I testify that indeed Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, so I returned to the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam) , has I reached there I started to cry from happiness then I said O Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam) , Allah has answered your prayer, and guided the mother of the Abee Huraira, praise be to Allah and ask Him again, and say good. I said O Messenger of Allah pray to Allah to love me and my mother to be His believing slaves and to love us, so the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said O Allah love your worshipper and his mother, to believing worshippers, and love them the believers. so the created believers listen and do not except those I love.|
7. On the authority of Mussaib bin Sad on the authority of his father about whom the Ayat of the Quran came down, he said the mother of Sad swore that she would never speak to him until he rejected his Deen, nor would she eat, nor drink, I said I believe that indeed Allah will advice you with your parents, and about the command of your mother, he said it will silence three, until she faints from the excersion, her son standing will say , so I prayed for Sad, so Allah Azza wa Jaal sent down in the Ayat of the Quran :
|And We have enjoined on man to be good and dutiful to his parents. But if they strive with you to make join in worship with Me others that of which you no knowledge, then obey them not, but behave with them in the world kindly.|
The Great Virtue of Parents
1. On the authority of Abee Huraira may Allah be pleased with him who said that the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said :
| It is not enough, the father and mother except that they are a new gift, not bought nor free.|